|Pancakes - Photo by WayTru|
Chunky unsweetened applesauce, cinnamon and whole wheat pastry flour combine to create a flavorful breakfast treat. You might consider substituting the applesauce with finely diced apples; which would enhance the flavor even more.
Top these tasty pancakes with a drizzle of maple syrup, sweet apple butter or fresh fruit and....enjoy!
Whole Wheat Applesauce Pancake Recipe
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or substitute all-purpose white)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
1/4 cup unsweetened chunky applesauce
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg, lightly beaten & room temperature
Pam© Cooking spray
- In a medium bowl: Combine flour, baking soda, salt and wheat germ together; make a well in center of mixture.
- In another bowl: Mix buttermilk, applesauce, oil, egg and cinnamon together. Pour buttermilk mixture into center of dry ingredients. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Coat a nonstick griddle or skillet with cooking spray. Heat pan over medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle, spreading to a 5-inch circle.
- Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked; turn pancakes, and cook other side.
Recipe adapted from Diabetic Connect