{St. Patrick's Day} Easy Guinness Gingerbread Cake

Photo: William Dickey
With St. Patrick's Day approaching quickly, we wanted to do something with beer, other than drink it!

This Easy Guinness Gingerbread Cake recipe uses boxed cake mix as well as extra stout beer as a secret ingredient. The full flavor of the Stout complements the spices within the cake. For those who don't like Stout, don't worry, you'll never know that it's in the finished cake. A simple butter cream frosting completes this delicious picture!

Top your St. Patrick's day masterpiece with some toasted pecans and you'll be the hit of the party.

 

 

 

   

Easy Guinness Gingerbread Cake

Ingredients:
2 (14.5-oz.) packages Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake Mix
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 3/4 cups Guiness Extra Stout, at room temperature, divided
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
Toasted pecans

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350°
Lightly spray two 8-in. square cake pans with Pam Cooking Spray

Cake:
  • In a large bowl mix together Betty Crocker Gingerbread Cake Mix with eggs and 2 1/2 cups of Guinness Extra Stout beer.
  • Pour batter evenly into cake pans.
  • Bake cake for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool on wire rack until completely cool.

Frosting:
  • Using an electric mixer: Beat softened butter at medium speed until creamy. 
  • Gradually add powdered sugar and remaining 1/4 cup stout beer to frosting.
  • Beat until blended after each addition. 
  • Beat until light and fluffy.
  • Spread frosting between layers and on top of cake. 
  • Garnish frosting with toasted pecans.
Original recipe adapted from: Southern Living, OCTOBER 2007

9 comments:

  1. Hi Marie! Thank you for the google friend follow! I'm just getting started with it, and i LOVE seeing new faces joining the rows! I can't wait to look over ALL your sites :) If this cake is any indicator, I'm sure I'll be addicted! Lovin' the look of your coastal site too; being a coastal gal myself it's nice to be brought back to the sea (we're currently in Toronto, ON... but not for looong! :) ) Thanks again, and I'll definitely be seeing you around!

    xo,
    Vikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful cake this is! I am so eager to bite it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guiness cake!? ahhhh yes please!!!! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited. You are the first cooking blog that has shown up by me. I love to cook, but as I am new to blogging, I have concentrated on home & crafts. Now I can follow you on both blogs. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! When my mum was pregnant they were still suggesting Guinness would do a expecting mum good for extra vitamens

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delicious. I adore gingerbread. I'll bet the beer gives it terrific flavor.

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how wonderful! This looks divine.

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    Happy Easter!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete