Stratas are a popular choice for Christmas breakfast; however they are really great anytime you have a gathering - no matter what time of the year it is.
The entire casserole is prepared the night before. Simply throw it in the oven while you enjoy your first cup of coffee. Your guests will think you slaved all morning! ~ Marie Rhoades
Sausage & Veggie Strata Recipe
2 cups of chopped mixed fresh vegetables (try zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, onion or bell pepper)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 pint half-and-half
10 eggs, room temperature
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
6 slices of french bread, cubed
1 pound sausage, cooked and crumbled
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- Sauté fresh vegetables in extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and set aside.
- Whisk half-and-half, eggs, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Prepare a 9"x13" pan with cooking spray.
- Line bottom of pan with half of the bread cubes.
- Scatter half of the crumbled sausage, vegetables, green onions and cheese over the cubes of bread.
- Pour one cup of the egg mixture over the top.
- Repeat layers with remaining bread, sausage, vegetables, cheese and onions.
- Pour remaining egg mixture evenly over top. (Can be refrigerated overnight.)
- Bake in preheated 325°F oven until set, about 60 minutes.
- Let stand for 8-10 minutes. Serve immediately.