|Photographer: Tomi Fumimoto|
The original recipe called for the use of chicken stock; however we wanted to create a vegetarian soup so used vegetable stock...substitute as you wish. Another variation is to use soy milk in place of the heavy cream.
Looking for more Asparagus recipes? we suggest AsparagusRecipes.net. ~ Marie Rhoades
Fresh Asparagus Soup
2 bunches asparagus
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 minced shallot
1 quart vegetable stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
- Wash and trim asparagus.
- Slice asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
- Melt butter in a stock pot. When butter is just melted, add shallot and sauté for one minute.
- Add vegetable stock and asparagus to pot.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender (and still bright green).
- *Using an immersion blender, blend mixture until all asparagus is pureed.
- Swirl in the cream and simmer until heated.
- Season to taste with sea salt and tiny pinch of cayenne pepper.