We whipped up these Whole Wheat Apple Squares with some Gala Apples which were past snacking consistency; however still great to use in a baked product.
When we began using whole wheat flour we found that the pastry flour provides a wonderful consistency to baked goods. In fact, many people that normally don't like whole wheat flour can't even tell it isn't white flour once baked into the recipe.
Enjoy these snacks - I'm sure they'll be a hit! ~ Marie
Whole Wheat Apple Square Bars
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter, unsalted
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease a 9x9 inch pan.
- In medium bowl: Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon together and set aside.
- In a large bowl: Mix together melted butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup of white sugar until smooth.
- Stir in the egg and vanilla.
- Blend in the flour mixture... just until combined
- Stir in the apples and walnuts.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared 9x9 pan.
- Stir together the remaining cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl; sprinkle over the top.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com