|Porcupine Meatballs are ready to bake!|
Another variation, called "porcupine meatballs" are basic meatballs with rice in them.
Porcupine meatballs are an old-fashioned recipe which is easy to prepare, inexpensive to make and created from common kitchen staples. The rice gives the meatballs a spiky appearance, hence the name! ~ Marie Rhoades
Porcupine Meatball Recipe
1 pound lean ground beef
2/3 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
1/2 cup beef broth/bouillion
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 can tomato soup, condensed (10.75 oz)
1 cup water
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mix lean ground beef with rice, 1/2 cup of beef broth, chopped onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Using a tablespoon, shape mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
- Place the meatballs in an ungreased 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the porcupine meatballs.
- Cover and bake at 350° F. oven for about 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake meatballs 15 to 20 minutes longer.