Porcupine Meatball Recipe

porcupine_meatballs
Porcupine Meatballs are ready to bake!
In the United States, meatballs are commonly served with spaghetti as in spaghetti and meatballs.  In the southern United States, venison or beef is often mixed with spices and baked into large meatballs that can be served as an entree.

Another variation, called "porcupine meatballs" are basic meatballs with rice in them.

Porcupine meatballs are an old-fashioned recipe which is easy to prepare, inexpensive to make and created from common kitchen staples. The rice gives the meatballs a spiky appearance, hence the name!  ~ Marie Rhoades




Porcupine Meatball Recipe

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
2/3 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
1/2 cup beef broth/bouillion
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 can tomato soup, condensed (10.75 oz)
1 cup water
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

Instructions:
  • Mix lean ground beef with rice, 1/2 cup of beef broth, chopped onion, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Using a tablespoon, shape mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls.
  • Place the meatballs in an ungreased 2-quart shallow baking dish. 
  • Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the porcupine meatballs. 
  • Cover and bake at 350° F. oven for about 45 minutes. 
  • Uncover and bake meatballs 15 to 20 minutes longer.
Recipe adapted from About.com Southern Food

4 comments:

  1. My family used to make this many years ago. I might have to try this again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! I love meatballs and I can skip the spaghetti any time cos that means I can fit more meatballs in my stomach! LOL :P

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog now. Please visit again and submit an entry. Good luck.

    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look mighty good and something very visiaully different, nice blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello~! Yum this looks really tasty. I cannot cook myself so I'll let my gf check it to cook for me haha.

    I have followed your blog.
    Could you follow mine too please at:
    SkyBlueTrading Blog

    I currently have a competition of stock price guessing where I will give the winner $1.00 or more for guess it right~

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete