If you dropped by our house during the Thanksgiving Holiday weekend, you would of found my mother and I perched atop a pair of counter stools while flipping through numerous cookbooks and sharing stories of hits and misses in the kitchen.
This session of recipe reminiscing brought to mind this Cranberry Relish recipe which I originally made for my in-laws...in fact, it was taken to their house for my first Holiday at their home. Of course, I was extremely nervous about impressing the in-laws and finding something they would love. This recipe did the trick! They love sweet foods and this relish was devoured in no time at all.
Using a Valencia Orange for this recipe creates great results since they have a thin skin, are juicy and mostly seedless. They are also generally available at this time of year. Make sure you use the entire orange - peel and all!
Cranberry Goodness Holiday RelishIngredients
- 1 large Valencia orange, quartered with peel
- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup apricot or peach preserves
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Chop the orange by hand (a food processor would be a great option)
- Combine cranberries and sugar in a heavy saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until cranberries just begin to pop, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer cranberries to a bowl, add preserves and mix until melted. Stir in chopped orange, drained crushed pineapple and lemon juice.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Serve on your holiday table and enjoy!
*Original Recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/