Baked Summer Squash Fritters

That Girl Can Cook! is happy to welcome guest blogger, Julie, of Get Healthy Cheap. She's sharing a Baked Summer Squash Fritter recipe with us today and make sure to check back as we'll be featuring another one of her wonderful recipes soon!

My name is Julie, I live in Phoenix, AZ and I recently changed my lifestyle. This blog is my way of sharing recipes and money saving tips while I get healthy and fit.

Isn't it funny that for less than $5 you can buy enough food at Taco Bell or McDonald's to get stuffed, but a loaf of fresh, whole grain bread can cost $6? Coupons can cut your grocery bill by over 50% if you eat processed foods but try to build the components of a healthy meal at the grocery store and it gets very discouraging when you are living on a budget. Since I'm determined to do this AND I'm on a budget, I'm trying to uncover every way I can to save. Hopefully, you will have some great ideas to share with me too.

Good tasting food is important. I am not a healthcare professional, just an old dog learning some new tricks. My recipes do not include nutritional information and they are not always the perfect low calorie meal. They are, however, real meals for real people and include fresh, healthy food.

Visit Julie at Get Healthy Cheap for full recipe photos & details.




BAKED SUMMER SQUASH FRITTERS

1 large or 2 medium yellow summer squashes
1 large or 2 medium zucchinis
2 medium carrots
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced or pressed ( I use a press)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash or any 'table' type spice blend
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 egg + 1 egg white
salt and pepper to taste

Shred the squash, zucchini and carrots in a food processor. Put it in a strainer with a good sized bowl underneath to catch the liquids. Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of salt on it and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, lightly saute the diced onion until almost done then add garlic and finish cooking just until onion is tender. Let cool while you start removing liquid from squash mixture.

Removing as much liquid from the squash as possible is the most important element for the success of this recipe. Liquid should be starting to drip into the bowl under the strainer. Squeeze out as much as possible. Then, squeeze them into balls to remove the last bit.

Put the squash into a large mixing bowl. Add the cooled onion mixture. Add the parmesan cheese. If you use flakes or whole, run it through the food processor.

Add the remaining ingredients including the eggs and mix well. Form into patties and put on a baking pan (I cover mine in foil & use non-stick spray). They can also go on the grill. Make sure you use heavy duty foil or they will fall through. On the grill they should be turned over half way through cooking.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is browning.

4 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I cannot wait to try these! Love summer squash! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A new fritter recipe! I made zucchini fritters a few months ago and loved them (Granted, that was after I reduced the amount of oil the recipe called for: "enough to cover the fritters". Needless to say, they were a bit soggy and mushy the first time.). I'm excited to try this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete