Poor Man's Stroganoff

I've been making a variation of this recipe since I was first married back in the early 1980's. It's certainly not a healthy recipe, however it is cheap, fast and filling...something many of us need these days. It's very similar to Hamburger Helper, but without all the additives.  My husband was the one that encouraged me to share as he just loves it...actually everyone that I've ever made it for loves it.

We use a very lean ground beef which produces no fat in the bottom of the pan (purchase chubs from Costco in frozen foods) so I can cook the onion, garlic and meat together.  As with all my recipes, add or delete what you want or use the type of seasonings you like to make it your own.

Poor Man's Strogranoff
That Girl Can Cook!©

Ingredients:
1 Package of Egg Noodles (12 oz. pkg)
1 pound of Ground Beef (as lean as you can afford)
2 cans Mushroom Soup (condensed, 10.75 oz. each)
1/2 Purple Onion, chopped
1 to 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash or similar non-salt seasonings
2-3 Tablespoons Sour Cream
Splash of Milk
Black Ground Pepper
Mediterranian Sea Salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions:
Prepared Egg Noodles as directed on back of package.

Once you get the water started for Noodles then brown the ground beef in a large skillet until browned & fully cooked. Drain, if necessary.

Toss in onions and garlic and saute with meat for a few minutes (adding EV Olive Oil if necessary)

Stir in cans of soup, add splash of milk until you get consistency you want (we like it thick)

Sprinkle in salt, pepper, any alternate seasonings.  Let warm in pan until Noodles are done.

Drain Noodles and put back into their pot, dump sauce mixture over top of Noodles and stir. Stir in sour cream (adds a nice creamy texture).

15 minutes and you've got dinner. Enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. So yummy recipe, Strogranoff is one my favorite dish every time I can :)

    Have a great week,
    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I love beef stroganoff. Haven't made it in a looong time. Maybe I will now that you have got me thinking about it! :-)

    ReplyDelete